What is a Well Woman Exam?
From your breasts right down to your reproductive organs, a Well Woman Exam is an opportunity for you, as a woman, to learn and share information about your female body parts, their overall health, and any questions or concerns you may have about them.
When Should I Get A Well Woman Exam?
More Frequent Exams Should Be Scheduled If:
Immediate Exams Should Be Scheduled If:
You May Also Schedule An Exam If You Are:
- Starting hormone therapy
A Well Woman Exam gives your doctor an opportunity to detect and treat any potential female-related conditions early on. A Well Woman Exam is also an opportunity for you to become comfortable with talking about your body and any irregularities you notice.
What Are The Components Of A Well Woman Exam?
If you have never had a Well Woman Exam, you may be nervous or unsure about what to expect. Below are the main components of the exam that you can expect to occur:
- Evaluation and counseling
- Laboratory/other tests
What happens during your appointment should be based on the Well Woman Exam guidelines and recommendations, which vary based on the following age groups:
- 65 or older
What To Expect During A Well Woman Exam
During a Well Woman Exam, your doctor should cover all the components mentioned above, which include screening, evaluation and counseling, immunizations, and laboratory testing. What happens during each part is described below:
- Screening – a key part of the Well Woman Exam, which involves a physical exam. A physical exam includes a basic assessment of weight, height and other physical assessments, like a pelvic exam, pap smear, and breast exam. Your doctor will also discuss your medical history with you.
- Evaluation and counseling – depending on age, your doctor will discuss various aspects of your life and provide guidance where needed. Topics up for discussion include fitness and nutrition, health and sexuality. Your doctor may also share information on the risks associated with your personal habits, preferred activities, or possible hazards relating to the work you do.
- Immunizations – your doctor will administer any immunization shots required or recommended for your age.
- Laboratory/other tests – urine and various blood tests may be performed to help detect any unseen abnormalities.
The exact services which your doctor provides may vary.
“I’ve been seeing Dr.Weprin for many years. He is always been straight forward and thorough. I appreciate that after his exam he always takes the time in his office to go over all findings. All his staff are kind and provide excellent patient services!” – Deborah D.
How To Prepare For A Well Woman Exam
If this is your first Well Woman Exam, you may have questions about what you should and should not do. Knowing how to prepare for a Well Woman Exam can help you feel more confident and relaxed on the day of your exam. When preparing for your Well Woman Exam:
- Do not schedule a Well Woman Exam during your period
- Write down questions to ask during the Well Woman Exam
- Advise the staff in advance if you have a medical disability
- Speak with your doctor about medications that can help relax you
- Wear comfortable and easily removable clothing
- Do not douche
Schedule Your Appointment
If you would like to come in for a Well Woman Exam, schedule an appointment with an Ob/Gyn specialist at Huey & Weprin Ob/Gyn. With specialized care and cutting-edge treatments in obstetrics and gynecology, Huey & Weprin Ob/Gyn offers a wide variety of gynecologic and obstetric services from leaders in Ob/Gyn research development. Call 937.771.5100 or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment.